READING FOR PLEASURE
It is our greatest wish that all children would pick up a book and simply read for pleasure and we encourage this at every opportunity. We are extremely lucky that our children have access to a range of different books in our libraries and class book corners from Nursery to Year 6. We also have ‘The Book Club’ saving scheme operating in Foundation Stage to encourage that love of books from the very start.
In school we also have and celebrate:
· Free and accessible libraries
Fiction and non-fiction books of the month for KS1 and KS2
· Reading challenges – in classes, year groups and sometimes for the whole school
· Reading Ambassadors
· Mystery Readers! (Please volunteer if you would like to surprise a class with a story.)
· Extreme Reading
· Recommended reading lists for fiction, non-fiction, poetry and magazines
· Reading assemblies with our special reading chair!
· MV Book Day
· The Book Fair
Blue Peter recommended reads
· Y6 take part in the Leeds Book Awards
· The Summer Library Challenge
Lockdown weekly reading challenges
We are always open and looking at ways to further encourage reading – let us know if you have any ideas.
Take a look at our Reading Resources Section for more ideas.