ART AND DESIGN
'Every human is an artist.' Don Miguel Ruiz
"It's relaxing after working hard." MV Pupil
"It makes me calm and lets me be creative." MV Pupil
"I like it when we can be creative. I wish we could do it more." MV Pupil
"It is my favourite lesson of the week." MV Pupil
"The art lessons really make my drawing better." MV Pupil
"The staff and children at Morley Victoria are so creative." MV Visitor
"There is evidence of beautiful art work all around school." MV Governor
The purpose of Art and Design:
Art, craft and design embody some of the highest forms of human creativity. A high-quality art and design education should engage, inspire and challenge pupils, equipping them with the knowledge and skills to experiment, invent and create their own works of art, craft and design. As pupils progress, they should be able to think critically and develop a more rigorous understanding of art and design. They should also know how art and design both reflect and shape our history, and contribute to the culture, creativity and wealth of our nation.
Art and Design in EYFS
Art and Design knowledge, understanding and skill development in EYFS is taught under the ‘Expressive Arts and Design’ section of Development Matters. Art and Design is taught by exploring and playing in purposeful well thought out areas of provision, through active learning and through creating and thinking critically.
In EYFS the children:
- Create closed shapes with continuous lines and begin to use these shapes to represent objects.
- Draw with increasing complexity and detail, such as representing a face with a circle and including details.
- Use drawing to represent ideas like movement or loud noises.
- Show different emotions in their drawings and paintings, like happiness, sadness, fear, etc
- Explore colour and colour mixing.
- Show different emotions in their drawings – happiness, sadness, fear, etc.
- Explore, use and refine a variety of artistic effects to express their ideas and feelings.
- Return to and build on their previous learning, refining ideas and developing their ability to represent them.
- Create collaboratively, sharing ideas, resources and skills.
The lessons provide children with a solid base to allow them to access the National Curriculum in Year 1.
These are the skills we teach from the National Curriculum: Explore and develop ideas
Textiles and Collage
Evaluate and Develop work
At Morley Victoria Primary School we aim to offer an Art and Design curriculum which engages, challenges and inspires pupils whilst giving them the creative freedom to experiment with their own work and produce pieces they can be proud of. Art and Design stimulates creativity and imagination. It provides visual, tactile and sensory experiences and a unique way of understanding and responding to the world. Through art children learn to make informed valued judgements and practical decisions. Art and Design is taught by class teachers and specialist HLTAs at Morley Victoria.
The aims of our curriculum are to
- produce creative work, exploring their ideas and recording their experiences
- become proficient in drawing, painting, sculpture and other art, craft and design techniques
- evaluate and analyse creative works using the language of art, craft and design
- know about great artists, craft makers and designers, and understand the historical and cultural developments of their art forms
Our top 5 books we would recommend:
- Children's Book of Art DK
- Children's Book of Art Usbourne
- The Story of Paintings Mick Manning and Brita Granstorm
- Art Through the Ages Frederic Furon
- The Usbourne Complete Book of Art
EXAMPLES OF WORK
EVIDENCE OF REMOTE LEARNING